Thursday, September 20, 2012

9-20-2012 Jigsaw Puzzle God


Mt. Herman on the border of Israel with Syria

I am the LORD, and there is no other, besides me there is no God; I equip you, though you do not know me, that people may know, from the rising of the sun and from the west, that there is none besides me; I am the LORD, and there is no other. I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the LORD, who does all these things.


"Shower, O heavens, from above, and let the clouds rain down righteousness; let the earth open, that salvation and righteousness may bear fruit; let the earth cause them both to sprout; I the LORD have created it.



"Woe to him who strives with him who formed him, a pot among earthen pots! Does the clay say to him who forms it, 'What are you making?' or 'Your work has no handles'? Woe to him who says to a father, 'What are you begetting?' or to a woman, 'With what are you in labor?'"


Thus says the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, and the one who formed him: "Ask me of things to come; will you command me concerning my children and the work of my hands? I made the earth and created man on it; it was my hands that stretched out the heavens, and I commanded all their host.

I have stirred him up in righteousness, and I will make all his ways level; he shall build my city and set my exiles free, not for price or reward," says the LORD of hosts.

                                                                                                           Isaiah 45:5-13

Jordan River source in Dan 

As we traveled around the country of Israel, a very clear picture came together for me, Adonai. To the north, lush forests with abounding water, in the west and middle sections, fertile, rich farmland. Separating East from West, two mountain ranges, and the further east and South we traveled, the more arid and dry The Land became. Add to this, an elevation change from North to South of 13000 feet and seasonal changes in temperature of plus or minus 50 degrees… it makes for a diverse environment of existence.

Worshipers at the Western Wall
I also saw this diversity in the people. I thought we were socially divergent in the United States (and we are!), but Your Land appears to be the original model of contrasting cultures; spiritual persuasions, ethnic backgrounds, family/tribal and political beliefs all contributing to a powerful mix of the human condition.

Herod's Quarters where Jesus was taken
And some in this diverse region, just like those in our diverse country, would argue that You too are flexible and different according to their needs. I have been told by some that You are an invented idea, conveniently made for the time and place of someone’s needs and desires. Many dismiss You, Lord as nothing more than an explanation for the ‘unexplained’.

When You are not needed, we would dismiss You away; when things go wrong in the world, we even demonize You as uncaring or diabolical (“After all,” they will say, “You must have caused the calamity or suffering because Your ‘soul’ purpose is to hurt and punish mankind.”). To some who think this way, You are to be manipulated, used and called upon only in the time and place of their choosing. To these people, Your character changes as necessary to justify their actions, desires and beliefs:You are to them, a Jig-saw Puzzle God – pieces of Your existence they would cut and fit to a pattern of their design.
Southern face of Masada

But You, Elohim, are the God of the dessert; You are the God of the mountains and plains and to those who live in each place. Perhaps we forget from time to time, that You are the God of all creation and Your ways are not our ways – beyond our understanding. Your way is not one of convenience – Your character does not allow others to shape You who are The Shaper.

Shrine at birthplace of John the Baptist
The Land helps me to understand better: You are not a mosaic of manmade images; I’ve come to realize that actually, we are Your puzzle, which is being completed with careful mysterious planning, loving kindness and correction. Just as the land changes and is reshaped over the course of time; just as it affects those who are bound to it; so I am cultivated and tilled by You. And I in turn become a source for others. It is not by my hands that You exist – it is by Your hand that I and all mankind, as well as Your earthly dwelling place, are offered redemption and renewal.
Gothic Church in Jerusalem

Now when I reflect on my journey from the heights of Mt. Herman, through the forests of Dan, into the fields and valley of Jezreel and beyond to the wilderness; ultimately up to Jerusalem; I begin to see the vast complexity and wisdom of Your plan. You are not to be defined or understood by one example or one scriptural reference or one feature within a place or one moment in time. You are God and Your puzzle must be completely finished, each piece placed as and when You determine.
"Look deeply at the hands that suffered"
Your desire is all that matters – a difficult thing to accept, Master; I would choose (and I confess I still try to choose) differently. Forgive me and thank You; praise You, that You, as God of all – sacrificed Yourself to The Land and to its people to shape a new creation.

I pray that all of us search the world for You with a hunger that will not be satisfied until the day the puzzle picture is complete.




Mark C.

1 comment:

  1. Mark,

    This blog was like a balm to my soul today. Thank you for allowing me to walk through this journey with you and ultimately, growing closer to the Lord.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete