Thursday, April 26, 2012

04-26-2012 Fixed


The one sitting on the throne said, "See, I am making all things new!" He said,
"Write this: 'These words are trustworthy and true.'"         Rev 21:5

            There was my friend Lew, confined by intravenous hoses and equipment, lying in a hospital bed, waiting for his last moments, in this life, to be completed. Sitting in a chair nearby was Lew’s daughter, Valerie, whom I had not met before, but had certainly heard about through Lew’s many boasting about “his daughter”. Interesting point Adonai, I don’t recall him calling her by her name before, just “my daughter”, proudly distinguishing her as not just another person, but as a cherished prodigy.
            Lord, as I walked into the dark room, I didn’t know how to help, what to do, what to say. Lew, even in his failing condition, took the lead. His face brightened and he reached for my hand. I could see a smile refusing to be contained by the oxygen mask over his mouth. Lew’s eyes and his still firm grip spoke for both of us. “It is good that we are here.”
            Still I wondered if You had a purpose for me in this place. I’ve been here before – with my mother, with friends not terminal, but certainly struggling with pain. What was I to do? Or was I just to be present? Such a difficult assignment for a man who has been taught all his life to fix what is broken – was Lew broken?
            It seemed right, at that moment, to better introduce myself to Valerie. I explained that her father and I attended a Sunday School class together and that he was a great inspiration to me; that we had shared fellowship, books and great conversations. She responded, saying she was so glad I had come and that her dad had not been this alert for a while. She apparently saw an opportunity and came to sit on the other side of the bed and spoke to her father.
            She began by explaining to him, that my presence seemed to have helped him and that, since he was improved, they needed to talk about “the next decisions”. She then reminisced about how Lew had helped her in her earlier years when she was not doing well with her hand writing. Now she helped others with their handwriting as a teacher. She described how, when she was learning to drive, he had taught her about warning lights – green, yellow and red – and that had really helped her in other parts of her life too.
“Now is a time of warning lights for us, Dad”, she continued. She described his time in the hospital, having friends and family constantly visiting, as “good moments” and that a warning light was signaling this would soon change – they would have to make some decisions about his quality of life as his breathing became more difficult. She patiently and lovingly laid out the plan for his transition, allowing him time to nod or shake his head as she offered difficult, but necessary choices.
            Suddenly, as I held Lew’s hand and listened, I had one of “Your moments”. You know the ones Rabbi, when You shine a brilliant light into my heart of hearts and whisper softly, “Don’t miss this.”, and shockwaves flow through my soul. The blurry picture before me focused perfectly. I heard Lew’s wisdom, his beautiful solid voice of reason, coming out of the mouth of “his daughter”. The words were not hers…or even his. They were Yours, originally seeded into my friend through his life experiences, fed and nurtured years later into Valerie through her life experiences and now, tenderly given back as a matured flowering gift to their original planter: Lew speaking to Lew through his beloved child. You were telling him; You were telling all three of us, “See, I make all things new.”
I can only pray for such a day, when You bless my children, my family, my friends to speak into me in this way; revealing what I have yearned to offer them over the years – the only thing of true value I have to offer – Your love and relationship.
            Had I helped to somehow on Lew’s behalf? Was Lew broken? Does it matter? Not anymore. My Brother in Christ is now on the other side – no distractions, no suffering, no trials to bear. He is healed – the Greek word that you, Jesus, used was iaomai – to be made whole.         Lew is made whole – dancing, rejoicing and focused on what still is the only thing of true value in life; Your love and relationship.
            I miss him Lord. Now what do I have? What do the friends and family of Lew have of him? Oh…right…I remember: we have the flowering messages You spoke to us, through him. We have life pictures of a man who had struggled with cancer for many years…no that doesn’t describe it well enough…who had accepted his affliction and turned it, as he did everything in his rich life, into an opportunity to witness, even to nurses, doctors and others as he lay in a hospital bed. We have an example of an ever positive, ever Up-looking man through whom You used to constantly demonstrate Your love and healing power.
            You have made Lew whole…fixed, and I am fixed with him.
Thank you God for the memory and gift of my friend, Lew.

Mark A. Cornelius


No comments:

Post a Comment