Sunday, January 15, 2012

What's in a name?


What’s in a name?  

Mah Shalomkah,

Just a few more weeks and we’ll be winging our way to The Promised Land. In preparing for the trip, I’ve mentioned that Patti and I have been studying Ancient Hebrew word symbols and I’ve been amazed to learn just how significant each word becomes when its origin is discovered.  Even the names of people in the Bible tell a story and it got me thinking how different the Hebrew way of thinking is verses my very Greek perspective.

For instance, in my everyday way of doing things, I greet my wife and say her name, “Patti” (Patricia) but I say it as a familiar identifier, not taking in its original Latin/Spanish meaning – Noble (which she most certainly is!).

Nor do I suspect that when she greets me back using my name, Mark, that she is thinking of me as a Warrior (Swedish) or a Hammer (Latin) or my favorite – Polite, Shining (Biblical). Even more interesting is Patti’s and my names translated to Hebrew: פטרישיה – Patti, loosely translating to, “behold the sharp head speaking everywhere” and סימן Mark, “fastened and depending on water (life and growth)”.

 I’m not one to say that a name defines the person, but I do believe we are shaped by our heritage.  Our name origin is important in determining what we become. All I have to do is look at the name of my Lord and Savior to understand this:

Jesus, “Jesus – Jehovah is salvation.” 

He was called to be exactly what he became. Shouldn’t I be more in tune with what I and those around me are called…and are called to?

Patti and I had over to our house, some of the other folks who are taking the journey to The Holy Land with us. We had not met most of them before, but it was amazing how quickly we got to know and respect one another – not because of and special position or skills any of us held, but because of our common language – the Love of Jesus that was obvious in each. We had all become “pictures of salvation” and it was not difficult at all to translate His impact on each of our lives. I suspect that even if each of us were from another country and spoke in different tounges, we still would have been easily able to communicate. It gave me incredible hope for the trip to come where we will definitely be encountering foreign tongues.

I don’t have to speak or totally understand Hebrew (thank You, Lord – I was worried about my lack of translation skills). All I have to do is learn more about the names and symbols around me in my everyday life – and what (or who) they represent. I’m discovering how complicated we’ve made language and yet how simple it truly is: All we need to do is look at the pictures – the life stories spelled out in names, words and experiences of those around us – and respond to them using the language of the One who invented and is Love.

So now when we arrive in Israel, I will know also what is in that name (its picture) which means “He will rule as God”.  That will be a reminder of exactly Who is in charge of this trip and Whose word, instruction and symbols we will be seeking out on our journey.
To me, that gives a whole new meaning to the word “Follow” - haw-lak' (Hebrew). As you prepare for your own journey – whether far away or in just your every day haw-lak', what does it mean to you?

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 
John 1:1

Berâkâh,

Mark & Patti C.








No comments:

Post a Comment