Saturday, November 12, 2016

11-11-2016 Spirit Of Nations

Shout out praises to the LORD, all the earth! Worship the LORD with joy! Enter his presence with joyful singing! Acknowledge that the LORD is God! He made us and we belong to him; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give him thanks! Praise his name! For the LORD is good. His loyal love endures, and he is faithful through all generations.

Psalm 100:1-5 

Today was most definitely a highlight, a “keeper”. And as typical, it started with an inconvenient accident. I’ve become alert to the fact that when things don’t go exactly as I have planned (or want), you are preparing me for a wonderful change. Here we are in Israel, in one of my favorite places on the planet - Gennesaret, more familiarly known by it’s Biblical title, the Sea of Galilee. We are preparing for a trip onto the waters in a vessel captained by a Christian brother who takes people out to worship with songs and praise. This in itself is a fantastic moment, but it is made more so by the fact that our small group will be sharing the sail with a larger group of French believers. The opportunity to share our faith in you with the faithful of another country is something that I’ve been anticipating for many weeks. We have not met this group before and I’m excited about communing in our love for you.

But when we arrive at the boat, we’re told the French group has not shown up. It turns out they are behind schedule and so they / we will only be able to worship on the water together for a mere 30 minutes – a blink of an eye when it comes to such spiritual matters. None the less we hope to make the most of the moment and when they arrive, we greet them warmly. They return the welcome in a familiar way that is hard to explain to those who don’t share our faith in You, the God that desires forgiveness in relationship. As we push off from the dock, Captain Daniel calls me over for a private conversation and explains, “Mark, I’m so sorry for the shortness of the trip. I would like for your group to stay on the boat after this ride is completed and join us also for the next group.”

What a gracious proposal. We have just been given expanded time in the place where you sailed with your disciples and, just as you offered them additional exclusive time together, we now will have extra time to bow before you, wrapped in the panorama of perpetual history. I stand on the bow of the boat staring first into the rich green waters and thinking a strange thought. I want so much to jump in and soak in the liquid moment. A voice of one of my companions next to me interrupts my private reflection, “I’ll jump in if you do.” I am delighted by the realization that she had shared the exact desire as I and it makes me wonder how many others over countless trips had considered the same? My gaze then lifts up to the surrounding countryside, the mountains and the fertile fields that embrace the shore that frame our encounter. A hazy blue sky canopies us as a hoopa, reminding me of your planned wedding to us. This is one more beautiful rehearsal that you have allowed me. Thank you, Jesus .

The sun bounces off the waters onto another canopy, the one that covers the boat, allowing your light to dance in ripples over us. And the wind whispered your presence. I am as near to you as I have ever been and I want to freeze the warm moment. It is then that I realize there is more going on here. Your French believers are singing a lovely song. I had studied the language in school and so I actually catch some simple phrases, including, “Notre spiriteux d’accord Jesus, avec tu—Our spirits agree (belong) Jesus, with you.”

It is such a perfect moment, made more so by a Frenchman, I never caught his name, who started talking passionately about another special moment. Again I catch snippets, “Orage – Storm, Alarme – Alarm, Sauve-nous – Save us”, and I instantly realize he is rendering the story of your disciples panicking during the storm and then waking you to calm the very waters on which we now sail. Then more animated words, “Pierre - Peter, Main- Hand,” combined with a simple gesture of reaching down with the orator’s palm, portrays the tale of Peter’s peril when trying to walk with you on the water, and your pulling him up to stand by you. I can see it all, Lord. I am washed in the tears of your translation. I understand now that it isn’t some secret spiritual language you give us to set us apart from one another. Instead you encourage us to gather in common, joining of revelation, so that, no matter the dialect, we all can experience your story, our story unfolding.

As the boat returns, I think, what can be better than this? - a silly question to ask in your presence, for as we bid our new spiritual brothers and sisters adieux, the next crew loads on. Now we are in the presence of Chileans, Latinos from my old home-base of Houston Texas!), and other Hispanic believers from parts unknown. Here I am less confident in my dialectic abilities, yet the immediate affection we receive from this group, bond us one to the other. We sing together familiar praise songs, they in Spanish, we in English, sometimes all joining in a common chorus of Hebrew and even a touch of Portuguese taught to us by Capitan Daniel. So many nationalities and languages, so much heart, such a Great God…Gadol Adonai! There is much more you provide in this day, fodder for many more conversations between us, you teaching me in your language and with your graceful gestures, just how much more I have to look forward to in our common relationship.
Meanwhile, I bask in this revealing and smile with understanding that you have etched the picture and the memory into the depths of me. Praise you for your continued love poured into me by a communion that any who know you will also understand and, I pray, appreciate.

Todah Rabah—Thank you so much,

Mark C.




















No comments:

Post a Comment