Sunday, November 13, 2016

11-14-2016 The Moriah Wonder

Who is like you, O LORD, among the gods? Who is like you? – majestic in holiness, fearful in praises, working wonders? You stretched out your right hand, the earth swallowed them. By your loyal love you will lead the people whom you have redeemed; you will guide them by your strength to your holy dwelling place. Exodus 15:11-13
I feel so shallow, Adonai, as if I am just scratching the surface of your depths, as when I look at the thousands of stars in the night sky and realize there are billions behind each one.

We are at the Jaffa Gate and the history of Christ Church, Herod’s Tower and the ministry of patient years pours over me. But you whisper, “Wait, I have more for you.” I sense a cosmic chuckle in my soul as you tease my curiosity. As we walk the alleyways of this ancient place, a friend of a friend appears. He seems to be a “nice guy” and it turns out this man of 60+ years is a student at the Jerusalem University College.
I’m instantly aware he has knowledge beyond my scope and so I go into intensive listening mode. He’s humble and doesn’t think himself adequate to the teaching task, his next words seem almost a push off. “There’s a small museum right here next to the church. It’s only one room, but I recommend it.”


Is he trying to dismiss or to deliver? Is this some ploy to acquire a donation to the affiliated university? Only one way to find out Lord… - As we enter the museum, I’m not impressed. Before me there is a decent relief model of the old city from the time period approximately 30 years after your time of dwelling here. To my left in a corner is another model of the current structure, the Al-Aqsa mosque now covering the site of what once was the first and second Hebrew Temples.

Another man comes in and introduces himself with his first name only, explaining that he’s from North Carolina. What is he doing here? What qualifies him?” I wonder. You answer through his next words… “-Why is there a church on these grounds with no permanent Christian symbols?” Then in perfect Rabbinical style, he responds to his own question, “Remember who ruled this area in the 1500s. The Ottomans. He then proceeded to ask more leading questions and to answer leading to more enlightenment.

The bottom line that this subtle Southerner teaches us is that You YHWH, have been quietly injecting Your agents into this land to impact others, mostly by quiet, consistent testimony through selfless acts of service. Not that Your ways are surprising to me any longer, but Your means certainly do intrigue. Mankind tried to obliterate Your people and Your city from all history.

But You, God, utilizing the desires of the Ottoman Caliphate who wanted to map the subterranean foundations of the mosque which occupied Your holiest earthly site, engaged the services of a European engineer who had the skills necessary to crawl under and physically survey beneath the revered ground. He was (and remains) the only non-Muslim ever allowed to do so in modern history.

Who would have thought that such an obscure act in the middle 19th Century would impact us today? That engineer discovered a miraculous labyrinth of arches catacombimbing and supporting today’s structures. Who would know that the model of that special structure would be spirited away to some dark vault in Vienna until four years ago, ultimately to be rediscovered and donated to this tiny nondescript gallery where its secrets are now revealed to thousands on a yearly basis? It reveals to believers and sceptics alike in these times that the ground beneath the current structure was not filled in with rock and dirt as previously thought, but was actually an ingeniously constructed support structure that must harbor a treasure trove of spiritual and physical history.

Why is this such an epiphany to me Lord? Why is light shown into a dismal basement causing my spiritual skin to tingle? It’s evidence of Your greater work unfolding. It reveals to me what prophesy promised long ago: that a new temple based on the ancient model can and will exist. Don’t get me wrong, Lord, I’m not overly thrilled by the idea of a new temple structure – there are prophecies about it that don’t present a pretty picture. But as I gaze at the model, I understand how it demonstrates the accuracy of what
You have planned for Your city and the world. It suggests that we are creeping ever closer to a moment when a dark force will make a bold move to discredit You, and it serves as yet one more precursive validation that you, Jesus will finally return to vanquish your people.

I know, Lord. What seems significant to me may not speak to others. No matter. I see You moving in this historical drama I’ve just been privy to. I comprehend how the words of writers long ago match up to the facsimiles laid out before my eyes. It all speaks to one conclusion, your eminent return is quite accurately and articulately predicted.

I walk out of this profoundly insightful place, not in any way depending on the information that has been downloaded. But I am acutely grateful for it. My faith is now supported by a newly unearthed foundation and by Your patient ethereal hand, my testimony of Your great kingdom building program is further strengthened. So encouraged, I testify. Once again, Your plan far ahead of mankind’s complete understanding, serves Your purpose and our benefit.

B’aruk Ata,


Mark C.

1 comment: