Saturday, February 11, 2012

2-10-12 Open Up Ye Gates

Capernaum Gate

I’m glad, Lord, that You prepared me for this completion of our Israel journey in Your typical manner – overlaying on the canvas of life, picture upon picture. The entry into the Promised Land, a scant ten days ago – full of anticipation and excitement; the unveiling of wonders unexpected and the revealing of truths both great and sometimes painful; the beauty of the Galilee followed by the confusion, hope, suffering  and ultimate triumph of Your entry into Jerusalem.

I’m on the plane jetting back to my home, but remembering at the moment, the Garden tomb – Gordon’s Calvary to be exact – one of several places considered likely to be “The Site” where You were crucified for my sins, buried and where You  turned Spiritual history upside down by defeating death for all who seek You.

This has helped me prepare to leave Your Holy Land although VERY RELUCTANTLY. The same sadness I felt leaving the shore of the northern sea, now helps me deal with my regret at flying away. I know greater things lay ahead, it’s just that I can’t see the path necessary to get there, and I don’t know exactly what You would have me do as I walk, climb and tumble along. But if I did, what would be the need for my faith?

Garden Tomb by Skull Hill
Oh yes, back at the tomb, Master. We shared communion: Patti, me and our newfound brothers and sisters. Words were spoken, Your body broken, the blood poured out – Remember this always for You. Shema – I remember what You have done, what You are doing. Shema – I will follow.

Door inside Garden Tomb
The trick as I see it, Lord, is not just remembering, but not forgetting. Not forgetting that, before this trip, I was NOT changed as I have been by Your land and its people. Not forgetting that my friends, family and acquaintances will NOT quite understand (as I did NOT quite understand) what the change would involve.  Not forgetting to live as changed believer who now does understand a little more Your words, “Many are invited, but few are chosen” – not a claim of predestined membership, but an admission that I have chosen to live changed and to submit to more change as You direct me.

Mark & Patti at Caesarea Maritima
Thanks and praise to You, Adonai for this chance to experience Israel first hand. Thanks and praise for all the pictures set firmly in my heart. Help me (You know I’ll need help!) to hear (Shema), to remember (Zakhar), and to know (Yadah) so that my faith (Emunah) will continue to grow through my life. With these thoughts, I believe I’m ready to arrive in a new holy land that awaits me, right in my own home and in the place I walk, drive, work and experience daily.

Sea of Galilee by Mt. of the Beatitudes
Lord, I’ll continue to reflect on the time spent in Your Land. Please help me to share it with others in a way that makes Your Land and their land come alive as it has for me - not because of our pleasure, but for Yours.

Shalom,

Mark C.

No comments:

Post a Comment