Tuesday, February 28, 2012

2-28-2012 First to Last

“Now when those hired first came, they thought they would receive more, but each of them also received a               denarius.
Gathering at Chapel of the Primacy at the Sea of Galilee
And on receiving it they grumbled at the 
      master of the house, saying, 
      'These last worked only 
      one hour, and you have made 
      them equal to us who have borne 
      the burden of the day and 
      the scorching heat.'
But he replied to one of them, 'Friend, 
      I am doing you no wrong. Did you 
      not agree with me for a denarius?
Take what belongs to you and go. 
      I choose to give to this last worker 
     as I give to you. Am I not allowed 
     to do what I choose with what belongs to me? 
     Or do you begrudge my generosity?'
So the last will be first, and the first last."
Mat 20:10-16


Flag of Israel
Flag of Palistine
I thought I understood this passage pretty well Lord, until I saw it spoken out in an event we attended in Your Land.
While in Jerusalem, the group we traveled with was invited to an evening session where a Palestinian Christian and a Jewish Scholar presented their perceptions of the Palestinian/Jewish conflict. The men shared about the problems involved in allowing for both Jewish and Arab governmental autonomy and both positions were compelling. Each “side” argued that the other had been unfaithful to the cause of a two party state and both listed off their frustrations, claiming victim status due to the actions of the other.
Rabbinic Does and Don'ts of the Western Wall
There was a time offered at the end of the session for questions. I felt very anxious – even uncomfortable – in this audience of pastors and others Biblically trained. Certainly they understood the issue better than I, but no one was asking The Question. I couldn't stop myself from wanting to know – Your Spirit’s urging was just too strong and, before I knew what was happening, my hand was going up to ask The Question. What was The Question You put on my heart Lord?
“I hear you both explaining this conflict in political and social terms. I hear Jewish and Arab frustrations because of cultural differences, but more than that, I hear you speaking in undertones about a greater Spiritual conflict, yet you’ve not addressed that issue. Is the Israeli Palestinian problem just political or is it really rooted spiritually and are you seeking God’s will about the issue?”
Column Stones at Israel Museum
Strong Chaos in Hebrew-translated FIRE
I want to say both men looked uncomfortable or convicted by the question, but in truth, they did not. In fact, both answered by dismissing the spiritual aspect (that has to do with personal preferences after all) and persisted with the concept that this was primarily a political problem.
When that had been stated, many more hands went up in the room and suddenly the entire scope of the conversation changed. Now the pastors and others seemed as confused as I was. In the land that You, Ancient of Days, have dwelled and chose a people and walked with them – they were saying You weren’t a significant…excuse me…The Significant part of the equation?
Palm Tree framing moon outside Church of the Annunciation
The dialogue intensified and others asked compelling questions about how Jews, Muslims, Christians, Messianics (Natsarim) and other sects interacted spiritually and socially. Was there any movement toward understanding God’s plan? Was there a deeper discussion of faith going on anywhere besides this room?
Still there seemed to be a missing link and You again inspired me to ask, “How can we as Christ-Followers, who love this land, become involved in the conversation. How can we help in seeking solutions involving God with his people?
Their answer (both men agreed to the same) was even more disturbing to me. “There really is no effort to involve Christians in this issue, they are, after all, a minority.”
Checkpoint entering Israel from Palestinian Authority
In other words, there aren’t enough Christians to significantly make a difference, let us handle this.
Welcome to the Chapel of the Primacy
Is this why the Pharisees, the Sadducees, the Essenes and all the others were so divided? They saw their rights in terms of percentages? Is that, Lord, one of the reasons You wept when You entered the city? Is this why we are so divided today, even within the faith of Christianity? Do You weep for us yet because we are not seeking unity in Your will?
Poinsettia at Bethesda
And as I relive this event, I have begun to wonder. When you, Jesus, were talking about the first being last and the last being first, were you distinguishing the nation of Israel from Gentiles (the established Jewish sects of the time having chosen not to recognize you as Messiah)? Were you lovingly pointing out how those you had chosen first had chosen their own will over The Creator’s desire?
Sculpture at Chapel of the Primacy
Could You also be speaking to us today; Evangelicals, Messianics, Jews, Muslims, Palestinians and all nations of the world, about how we “position” ourselves for personal gain instead of seeking, with all our hearts, soul and strength…You?
I can’t help thinking, Adonai, what a great opportunity You now allow us – to see how Your people have taken a spiritual issue and redefined it into a political/social conflict. Can we be turned again toward the light, Father in heaven?
Open the eyes of our hearts, Lord.


Mark C.

No comments:

Post a Comment