Sunday, February 5, 2012

2-4-2012 The True Power

Patti at Scythopholis ruins


Started out, Lord, at the site of Scythopolis or Tel Shelan, as You would also know it. An ancient ruin that revealed to me just how ingenious and enterprising the Romans were. This place had it all: Toilets, bath houses, theaters and an elaborate city structure that rivals many metropolitan areas today..
Side of Amphitheater at Scythopholis

But what struck me  most was that , as advanced as it all was then, it's gone now - long abandoned, even thought it stood as a pinnacle of power and a marvel of engineering prowess. I now can see what might happen to New York or Los Angeles or London if the inhabitants just up and left their domiciles. You have taught me, Adonai, that it can...and will happen.



The irony is, I'm learning not to worry about such things - my interest is in hearing where I'm going to "up and go to", not where I am currently staying. I wonder if others are like me - are totally comfortable with their destiny - or if they just "hope" their passage from this earth is a good one?

Amphitheater at Caesarea Maritima

Caesarea Maritima ruins
...Nope, not going to dwell there...we left Scythopolis and headed for the "big water" - that's spelled Mediterranean - and there again, You revealed. Looking at Caesarea Maratima, I see it too was once, one of the great wonders of man. I liken it Lord to present day Dubai, but "Caesarea by the Sea is now rubble. What of what we build can possibly survive? 

Herod The Builder, nor his creations survived. But the writings of a small, noisy Jewish scholar who converted to belief in Jesus Messiah have survived amazingly well. It is Paul's message, and his witness in this place - the story of his total dedication to You - that's what lives on.

Tell Migeddo

And we live on with that message, inspiring us to come and learn from this land. We got back on the bus and trekked to another site of ruin - Tel Megedo - an archeological bonanza which we were privileged to explore, even into its bowels - deep tunnels and artifacts dating back approximately 5-7,000 years. What is this place now? A fascinating, but very dead study. 



Statue of Mark Taking Picture at Tell Migeddo
How did all these places lose their positions of power? Why did those who maintained the walls - wadding, embellishing and improving - how did they, why did they perish? Yet, just a few miles nearby, a rabbi and his disciples – who mainly stuck to walking and talking around the tiny fishing villages within an insignificant farming and fishing region – changed the world forever.



Mater, I asked and You answered me as we visited a valley to the north of Nazareth, just a short walk from the Sea of Galilee. There, in the region of Zebulon, Your spiritual footsteps appeared again. You showed me that You are more likely to be found, not in the grand buildings, structure and organization of man, but instead, while walking on a simple path by a stream, or on a beach, on the road or in a home, worshiping with friends and family. You walked (and walk now in Spirit) there with Your disciples - teaching love, forgiveness and healing. 

   "Peter, do you love me? Feed my sheep."

Gospel Trail at Zebulon
   Three times, Peter denied You, three times You forgave.

If only I had only denied You three times.  Maybe my life would be less in ruins. Still, unlike Scythopolis, Caesarea and Tell Megedo, You have rebuilt me, raised me into a new life that will last eternally. Can others possibly see the miracle in that and seek You before they too fall into permanent and unrepairable ruin?

Mark C.





No comments:

Post a Comment