Saturday, February 4, 2012

2-3-2012 Another Foretaste

Lord, You have made this day and I rejoice in it...
Hills Overlooking Bethlehem

...A beautiful sunrise over Bethlehem (after the torrential rains of yesterday) sets me up with open eyes for new discoveries. And new discoveries abound!.

First - to visit Jacob's well; the REAL thing, where Abraham, Jacob and You sat and drew refreshment.No, the water isn't holy, nor is the buiding that sits upon the site. But the stones where You sat, to talk with the Samaritan woman, are there. I thought the actual well circumference would be larger, Lord - must be a false image from some TV fiction I've watched. But now that doesn't matter - I've walked where You walked, I've sat where You sat!
Church - site of Jacob's Well
Ancient Shechem with modern Nablus and Mt. Garizim, (Mt. of Blessing)  in background

And then the Valley of Shechem - incredible to see the Mountain of Blessing and the Mountain of Curses. To realize that Jacob's well is RIGHT THERE, surrounded by the mountains - a holy mountain sight actually, not in some barren wilderness, but in a fertile valley. To walk and touch the ruins of ancient Shechem, the first city visited by Abraham, and to envision the history - powerful stuff, Lord. But this was just another foretaste of the feast to come - next stop, Nazareth.


Mike describing the view of history from the Mt. of Precipice at Nazareth
How do I try to explain the picture that now flashes in my mind when I mention the name of your home on earth?  The valley to the south - Megiddo - the hill/mountain on which your earthly dwelling place of 20 years (from the age of 10 -30) rests. Mount Tabor to the East, Mount Carmel to the west. Cana to the North, and all beautifully visible in the afternoon sun - a panoramic wonder viewed from the Mount of Precipice. The understanding now of how Your people would not have traveled the Samaritan road to Jerusalem (in order to avoid contact with what they considered an "unclean" culture).

And there's the understanding now, of how much I still don't understand about all of this.On the other hand Rabbi, I am sure willing to be taught - thank You for that part of my psyche - now I give You willingly - that part of me so that Your will may be done.

Mark C.
Patti and Mark on roof of Angel Hotel overlooking Bethlehem

No comments:

Post a Comment