Saturday, February 11, 2012

2-5-2012 The Perfect Blog Site


2-5-2012 The Perfect Blog Site
Sunset on the Sea of Galilee

I just need a moment, Messiah, to get my feeble brain wrapped around this moment... I am sitting in a chair, in the green grass, hardly a sound invading. I am typing on a laptop...on the eastern shore of the Sea of Galilee just before sunset. Surely this must be a dream. It cannot possibly be reality. 
Sunset continues on the Sea of Galille

But it sure feels real. I can smell the water on the breeze. I am surrounded by the hills. In the distance, across the shore, I see modern day Tiberious. A little to the north, there it is, Chorazin. A small boat goes by - is that You and Your first disciples? Waves gently lap the image to shore. I can't really be here
Sunset fades on the Sea of Galilee

Yet I am! By Your divine providence, I have come to this place. Not only that, this morning You brought me and Patti to the actual site of Chorazin and we experienced the ancient village ruins with it's beautiful synagogue and insulas. But most of all, we took in the spiritual moment - reading passages from Matthew 23 and 15, absorbing your instruction about how to follow You, not the world. Did I mention I read these words on the very sight where You instructed in person...overlooking the Sea of Galilee?
Synagoge at Korazim

It's a good thing I'm sitting down. Give me strength not to be overwhelmed by this, Rabbi. Did I mention the birds, the cricket song and frogs, the glittering of the sunlight on the water and the textures of the rustling trees? Even the insects are right and the rushes on the shore are swaying their evening dance. And the rocks by the shore...I actually think I can hear them crying out to You...or maybe that's my spirit. Yes, the latter. What an altar You have prepared for me to worship at. Did I mention this is Jewish Sabbath today? Keep me strong, keep me strong...

   I lift my eyes to the hills, where does my help come from?

...from the same God who also showed us the Mount of the Beatitudes where You explained what blessings truly are and how they are to be given in love to others, not just held as some selfish treasure. Caesarea Phillipi today, where You, Lord, once took Your disciples and pointed to the rock face where other cultures had carved elaborate idol representations surrounding the water cave that, at the time, was known as the Gates of Hades/Hell. You reminded me today of Your perfect plan to build Your church, Your people, from the ruins of pagan worship converting/convicting anyone who did not believe - who were dead - to those who will now live forever with You in eternity.
Gardens at Church of the Beatitudes

Did I mention that not only the sun has set, but the moon is now rising? Did I mention that I noticed my new friend, Wanda sitting on the beach and that we shared a prayer? She ministered to me as You would have, reminding me, that as much as we both want to never give up this moment of perfection, that You set the example by walking out of this beautiful place, up to Caesarea Phillipi, eventually to Jerusalem and to Your fate on the cross on our behalf.

And so now I understand Lord. I get this one. You have given me a great gift on these shores, I love this place as You would have, even to the point of getting up and leaving this perfect blog site and going where You would have me go. I must not get wrapped up in the world - even this part of it where You lived. I must learn to wrap the world up in You, loving You as You have loved me.


Thank You for sharing Your earthly life as a preview to a paradise to come.


I am Yours,
Mark C.

No comments:

Post a Comment